-- 1 --
- to mix one thing in with another in a way that is not regular:
Her handwritten notes were interspersed throughout the text.
-- 2 --
- to put things of one type in different parts or places among other things:
Framed pictures were interspersed among the books in the bookcase.
-- 3 --
- if something is interspersed with a particular kind of thing, it has a lot of them in it:
At this time of year, sunny periods are interspersed with showers.or
We should intersperse the TV program with several advertisements.
-- 4 --
- to put something in between pieces of speech or writing, parts of a film etc:
So, once more time:
- Notes can be interspersed throughout the text.
- Pictures are interspersed among the books.
- Sunny periods are interspersed with showers. or They can intersperse the TV program with ads.
- The editor can intersperse jokes in the speech.